Huddersfield sacked head coach Jan Siewert an hour after losing at home to Fulham, with Ivan Cavaleiro’s superb goal securing victory over the struggling Terriers.
Huddersfield remain winless this season and Siewert had been under growing pressure following Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup defeat by League One Lincoln City.
The visitors had the better of an even first half and took the lead after the break when Juninho Bacuna’s horribly miscued clearance proved to be the perfect cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head home.
Town levelled when Karlan Grant’s header from Flo Hadergjonaj’s centre just crossed the line despite the attempts of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, but Cavaleiro won it with a wonderful curled finish from just inside the area.
Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League alongside Fulham last season, have not won in any competition since February and have taken just one point from their first three games this season.
Grant’s header, awarded by the referee with the aid of goal line technology, had looked set to give them a second successive 1-1 draw.
But Wolves loanee Cavaleiro was afforded too much time after Town failed to deal with a looped Steven Sessegnon cross and the Portuguese forward showed his class to secure a second successive league win for Fulham.
Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara had earlier made two good saves from Anthony Knockaert and the score would have been worse but for the performance of the Liverpool loanee.
Siewert said after Tuesday’s defeat by the Imps that he did not fear for his job, but his record stood at one win from his 19 matches when his departure was confirmed.
Huddersfield travel to fellow relegated side Cardiff on Wednesday, while Scott Parker’s side host Millwall on the same evening.
A 15-year-old girl found dead in the Malaysian jungle after vanishing from a family holiday had starved, a post-mortem has revealed.
Nora Quoirin’s body was discovered beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
Malaysian Police said there was no suspicion of abduction or foul play.
Her body was found following a 10-day search after she disappeared on 4 August.
The teenager died two or three days before she was found, police believe.
Nora was born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development, and had been described by her family as vulnerable.
Her parents had previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and suspected she had been abducted.
It’s the time of year when many parents are buying their children’s school uniform – which some say can cost in excess of £200. Do schools need to relax their rules on branded clothing to help make it cheaper? Or can online swap groups and recycling schemes cut the cost of going back to school?
The cost of school uniform
Research by market analysts Mintel suggests British parents spend about £1.2bn on clothing and equipment for school.
The Department for Education (DfE) asked 1,183 parents about uniform costs in 2015 and found it came to almost £213 per child. Adjusting its figures for inflation, it would make the average cost of uniform in 2019 almost £230 per pupil.
What parents recalled spending
Source: DfE survey of 1,183 parents in 2015, figures adjusted for inflation
Adding in PE kit, parents recalled paying the equivalent to £70 more for primary school children and between £111 and £140 extra for those of secondary school age.
Separate estimates from The Children’s Society in 2018 put the total cost of uniform at £256 per primary school child and £338 per secondary school pupil.
How to cut the cost: Online swaps
One way of cutting the cost is to swap uniform with other parents. Thousands of people are members of social media groups that do this.
Yvonne Hall, 38, from Stockton-on-Tees, set up a Facebook group for parents to donate used school uniforms.
Her 16-year-old son changed schools in the first term of last year and Mrs Hall said she found herself with “another hefty uniform bill” of about £100 on top of the cost of the old uniform.
“I decided to donate the brand new uniform my son had only worn for a week on Facebook and it was snapped up instantly,” she said.
The page now has parents sharing uniforms, PE kits and revision guides.
A sample of 100 Facebook groups set up in Britain and containing the words “school uniform” and “swap” or “free” showed they had 34,110 members between them, an average of more than 340 each.
Does it have to be a new uniform?
Kate French wants to challenge what she calls the UK’s culture of “always buying new” school uniforms.
She set up the charity Uniform Exchange in Huddersfield in 2011 to help families who were struggling with the cost of basics items, but now says the project is also about reducing waste.
“If anything has got life left in it then we should be recycling,” she said. “By the time my kids get home in the evening, their uniform is covered in pen or mud.
“Any school uniform will look second hand by the end of the first week.”
What help is available?
Some councils or schools offer financial support.
In England schools can use the funding they get from the DfE’s pupil premium – money allocated for children from poorer backgrounds.
Hackney Council spent £72,300 on school uniform grants in 2018-19. Manchester City Council spent £208,529 on school uniform grants in 2014-15 but stopped offering them the following year.
A spokesman for the Local Government Association said funding cuts from central government had resulted in councils finding it “increasingly difficult” to provide grants for school uniforms.
In Scotland families can apply for a £100 grant in the same way they apply for free school meals.
From September families in Wales can apply for a £125 Pupil Development Grant, which comes alongside advice to schools to have gender neutral uniforms and minimal branding.
In Northern Ireland funding varies from £35.75 to £56 depending on the age of the child.
Is uniform cheaper in the supermarket?
The BBC compared school clothing on the websites of four large UK supermarkets and found the average prices were about £58 less for a primary school uniform and £118 less for a secondary school uniform than in the government’s survey of parents.
The saving is likely to be higher as the analysis is based only on buying one of each item, excluding any spares parents would typically purchase.
It also depends on whether schools would permit parents to use supermarket uniform or whether they have to have items with the school’s logo.
Can school uniform be cheaper?
Difference (£) between average cost of uniform in supermarkets and government estimates
What do suppliers say?
Suppliers of school uniforms said their costs were lower than the estimates in the government’s survey.
A spokeswoman for Price and Buckland said uniforms should be affordable for everyone, adding: “We work with some schools that offer pupil premium and offer vouchers to parents to support them with purchasing uniform.”
Michael Franklin from National School Uniforms said supermarket clothing, while cheaper, was generally “far inferior to the norm”, with bespoke items lasting “three times as long”.
Carolyn Budding from YourSchoolUniform.com said schools should take out contracts with single suppliers, who could “offer more competitive prices”.
“This is contrary to government advice to schools to offer a choice of suppliers,” she said.
What is the government doing?
Emma Hardy, Labour MP for West Hull and Hessle and a former primary school teacher, said schools needed to “poverty proof” their uniform policies and remove the need for clothing with school branding so they could be bought “from any shop”.
“I think if you can make uniform more accessible parents can make it just as smart as if it’s been bought from a specific school retailer,” she said.
A Department for Education spokeswoman said: “Our guidance states that schools should prioritise cost when setting uniform policies, including making sure uniforms are easily available at different outlets, and keeping compulsory branded items to a minimum.
“We have been clear that when there is a suitable time in Parliament, we intend to make this guidance statutory.”
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
A third man has been charged with murdering a 26-year-old who was shot dead in north-west London.
Kwasi Mensah-Ababio was found with head injuries in Monks Park, Wembley, shortly after 19:00 BST on 7 July.
Taalib Rowe, 24, will appear at Willesden Magistrates’ Court on Thursday charged with murder.
Alhassan Jalloh, 20, and Karlos Gracia, 22, both of Stonebridge Park, have also been charged with Mr Mensah-Ababio’s murder.
London’s Mayor has advised planners to reject proposals for a new skyscraper.
In April, the City of London Corporation (CLC) approved the 1,000ft (305m) Tulip tower proposed for Bury Street, beside the Gherkin tower.
It argued it was “truly unique” and would increase the number of people visiting the capital at weekends.
But Sadiq Khan said a number of concerns raised in a London Review Panel report also meant the tower would harm the skyline.
Mr Khan advised CLC planners reject permission on the basis of the reasons outlined by the Panel, which included:
- The design did not constitute the very highest quality of design required for a building in the location
- The proximity, height and material would have a negative impact on the Tower of London World Heritage site
- The space around the proposed building was insufficient to be safe and to prevent overcrowding
- A lack of new cycle parking spaces failed to comply with the London Plan for transport
The London Review Panel concluded The Tulip “does not represent world class architecture, it lacks sufficient quality and quantity of public open space, and its social and environmental sustainability do not match the ambition of its height and impact on London’s skyline”.
A spokesperson for the mayor said Mr Khan “has a number of serious concerns with this application and having studied it in detail has refused permission for a scheme that he believes would result in very limited public benefit”.
The Foster + Partners-designed tower was to be built at 20 Bury Street.
The Corporation’s Planning and Transportation Committee had supported the plan by 18 votes to seven after conditions were imposed such as restricting ticket sales during peak hours.
|Specsavers County Championship Division Two, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff (day one):|
|Middlesex 384 Malan 166, Sowter 57*, Roland-Jones 54; Carey 4-54, Hogan 3-75|
|Glamorgan 25-4 Helm 4-8|
|Glamorgan (3 pts) trail Middlesex (5 pts) by 359 runs|
Dawid Malan’s superb 166 dragged Middlesex to a strong position at 384 all out against Glamorgan, who crashed to 25-4 in reply.
Tom Helm claimed four late wickets to complete the visitors’ dominance.
Middlesex had slumped to 131-6 after Malan chose to bat, but he shared a seventh-wicket stand of 95 with Toby Roland-Jones (54).
Nathan Sowter then walloped 57 not out in a ninth-wicket stand of 115 with Malan.
Lukas Carey (4-54) and Michael Hogan (3-75) were Glamorgan’s best bowlers.
It was Malan’s third score of 150-plus in the campaign as he took his season’s tally to 879 runs and reminded England of his Test credentials, while Glamorgan were left to rue a missed slip chance he offered off Carey’s bowling on 43.
Middlesex’s march was only halted when Sowter retired hurt after being hit on the hand by Graham Wagg, and though he returned briefly to bat, the spinner did not field.
The visitors’ delight at their comeback was heightened when Helm’s new ball blitz left Glamorgan in tatters, his victims including the country’s top scorer Marnus Labuschagne for six.
Middlesex captain Dawid Malan told BBC Radio London:
“We were in trouble until we found some good momentum after lunch with the way Toby played, but we thought it was better to bat first than bat last on this wicket. Sowts and Toby created the momentum for me, they got me in a position where I could trust myself to play some shots and it came off.
“When you play nicely at the age I am (31) you want to cash in and make the most of it, but I’m not worried about (possible selection for) the Ashes because last time (for England) I got caught up in the wrong things,
“If I don’t get a call I’ll happily watch it on TV, and if I do get a call I’ll happily go.”
Glamorgan coach Matthew Maynard told BBC Sport Wales:
“They could have been 130 for seven and you would have been looking at a different game, but there was a big momentum shift and Malan played a super knock well supported by Roland-Jones initially, then Sowter played some great shots.
“We didn’t hold our bowling lengths particularly well all day, apart from Lukas Carey who had a great day with the ball.
“Then with nine overs to bat at the end, you can only lose, you can’t gain anything. From half an hour after lunch, it was probably our worst day of the season in the Championship but we’ve got three days to put that right.”
A man has been arrested on suspicion of the murders of a pregnant woman and her baby son who died days after being delivered.
Kelly Mary Fauvrelle, 26, who was eight months pregnant, was stabbed to death in her home in Croydon on 29 June.
Her son Riley was delivered by paramedics but died on 3 July.
The Metropolitan Police said a 25-year-old man had been arrested and was being held at a central London police station.
He is the third man to be arrested on suspicion of the murders.
A 37-year-old was released with no further action while a 29-year-old was bailed until a date in August.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service at 03:30 BST to Raymead Avenue, Thornton Heath, where Ms Fauvrelle was in cardiac arrest.
Despite the efforts of paramedics, she died at the scene.
Ms Fauvrelle’s family – including her mother, two brothers, sister and sister’s baby son – were all at the home at the time of the attack and were woken by her screams. However, none of them saw her attacker.
Her son was delivered at the scene but died in hospital.
An engineering train has derailed in south London causing the closure of the Gatwick Express service.
The train partly left the tracks at low speed outside Victoria station at about 03:00 BST.
No Gatwick Express trains are running, while Southern warned its services would be “severely reduced”.
The train has moved and the track will now be “assessed for damage” and repaired if necessary through the night, according to Southern.
Disruption is expected to last throughout Tuesday but Gatwick Express and Southern said a normal service was expected on Wednesday.
The train was stuck across a number of tracks meaning platforms nine to 13 at Victoria were blocked, while services were not able to use the “slow/stopping” lines to and from Clapham Junction.
Some trains were also unable to leave the Battersea depot – further reducing the number of services that could run.
Recovery teams cut the 50-tonne train from its two wagons and lifted it back on to the track using hydraulic jacks.
Trains running through Gatwick Airport were also disrupted by a separate signalling fault and a passenger who was injured as they left a carriage, which led to one platform becoming blocked.
Some commuters took to social media as they found their trains had been cancelled.
Other stations, including London Bridge, also became congested as people tried to find alternative routes.
You may also be interested in:
A Network Rail spokesperson said passengers should travel “via London Bridge or London Blackfriars as trains will be delayed, diverted or cancelled”.
Train tickets for Southern and Gatwick Express services have been accepted for reasonable routes on other services.
Train services affected:
- Gatwick Express services are completely suspended
- Services to Sutton, Epsom Downs and Epsom to and from London Victoria are reduced
- Some mainline services will be diverted to London Bridge instead of London Victoria
- Southern services between London Victoria and Reigate are cancelled and passengers are advised to use Thameslink to and from Redhill and then Great Western Railway between Reigate and Redhill
- Services between London Victoria and East Grinstead will call additionally at Selhurst and Streatham Common
- Services between Milton Keynes and East Croydon will call additionally at Wandsworth Common when not already booked to do so
- Services between London Victoria and Horsham via Sutton will call additionally at Ewell East
- Southern trains from Sutton to London Bridge via Wimbledon will be cancelled. Thameslink will be running as normal
Please include a contact number if you are willing to speak to a BBC journalist. You can also contact us in the following ways: